What to ask yourself before purchasing anything
Before buying any sort of products, you may want to ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I need it?
- Do I already have something similar, can I borrow it or buy it second hand?
- Do I really like it? As Derek Sivers says, “if it isn’t a hell yes, it is a hell no”
- Will I get a lot of uses out of this item? If a food purchase, am I going to consume it within the next week or before its use-by date?
- Am I buying this item as impulse or is it a thoughtful decision?
After having gone through all these questions, if you still decide to proceed with your purchase, there is also another important question, you may want to check:
- Has this item being made in conditions that are in line with my values and is produced locally?
Checking the ethics of the brands you are buying to ensure you are not supporting big corporations taking part in destroying the environment etc. is also key in the purchase decision. Some countries have even created app to guide you through your purchasing journey. Check our France low impact lifestyle guide to find out more about this app.
A final thing to consider on top of whether the brand you are buying is ethical, is where you are going to make your purchase. Instead of buying something from a big supermarket, a shopping mall or Amazon for example, consider making your purchase in a local independent store.